Education in Burma
The government agency called the Ministry of Education operates the schooling system here. The educational system is somewhat complex, with various levels of higher education present here. Generally speaking, though, the universities present are run under one of two different entities, depending on location. The Department of Higher Education of Upper Burma is one and the Department of Higher Education of Lower Burma is the second. The country's educational system mimics, closely, that of the United Kingdom. This is due to the presence of the British in the region for many years.
Nearly all schools in the area are run by the government. Some now are offering private education. These private schools are often English-based. The country has more than 100 universities. It also has 9 degree colleges, 24 colleges, and 12 institutes. This makes it a well-rounded location to obtain your education in by far.
In addition to this, many individuals studying here will attend one of the 10 technical training schools, 20 midwifery schools, 23 nursing training programs, or the sport academy within the country.
The country also recognizes four international schools within its borders. This includes:
- The International School of Yangon, called ISY
- Yangon International School, called YIS
- Crane International School of Yangon CISM
- International School of Myanmar ISM
Students attending university style programs will find a wide range of options to select from in Myanmar. This includes the following educational levels.
- Associates degrees - designed to provide a basic certificate of completion for students enrolling in basic educational programs. These take about a year to complete.
- Bachelor degrees - students enrolling in this school will spend between three and five years completing this program. Most enter into the workforce from this position.
- Masters degrees - This program is often for certification or a higher level of leadership in the field and takes between one and three years to complete.
- PhD degrees - The doctoral level of education present here is significant and is often student-led. This type of program can take as little as a year or can span numerous years.
Popular choices in courses here include agriculture, education, technology, law, health, and business management. However, schools offer a full curriculum of choice for most students.
Travel Visas for Students
Students who wish to visit the country for the first time may only need a travel visa. It provides for 28 days of stay in the country. If you plan to stay longer, you will need to apply at a local embassy for a student visa. Requirements differ based on the country of origin, but students will need to provide at least six weeks of time for the processing of such visas. You also must have been approved to attend the school prior to this.